Praying to Akua Through Dance
Hula is a dance form developed by the early Polynesians that discovered the Hawaiian Islands. This dance preserves history, tradition, knowledge and wisdom.
From a traditional perspective hula is a way of communicating with the elements of our Universe. Hula involves a mental discipline, a strong intuition and the use of prayer.
Capture a moment of prayerful dance through hula.
Theses classes will teach the fundamentals of hula. We will share the protocols involved in the dance while learning and growing in the spiritual understanding of our ancestors.
Hula classes are divided into districts. Each district that we share the dance has a specific colour.
You will find below a direct link to a page designated to each district. This page will provide the practice videos of each dance that each district has learned. So click on the district that you are a part of to view these practice videos. When prompted to enter a password you will need to enter the password given by district.
1. Haumana must wear all black practice attire.
-black top, tank tops, spaghetti strap, cap sleeve. Basically any black top that you are comfortable in and cool.
-black bottoms, spandex, leggings, open footed. Even black yoga bottoms.
2a. Haumana will be provided there first Hula practice PA'U. A Pa'u made of unbleached natural muslin/calico.
-All other hula pa'u will be made by the Huamana. Replacement Practice Pa'u will be made by the student that needs it replaced.
-This is you practice pa'u. Once given it will be your responsibility to care for . It will be your responsibility to bring to every practice to wear.
-You will be taught the appropriate way of putting it and taking it off.
2b. Hula Ribbon Lei Colour coded by Hula District. Each district of hula practice will have a color. A Double Ribbon Lei will be woven by each student by district.
-students will care and bring there hula lei to each class.
All Other Districts: Green
3. Hula Pohaku. All students will be required to find a hula practice stone.
You will pray for it and you will find it.
- Students will be responsible for caring and bringing there hula stone with them to every single practice.
4. Hula Journal. All Haumana will create a hula journal. This journal will include hula steps and descriptions. The words of each hula learned and translation. Any notes that the student is inspired to make during practice class about the hula.
- students will be required to bring there journal to every class. Care for it. Keep it up to date and utilize it only for personal use.
5. All classes will begin with Protocol.
Students will chant into there hula line up position. Teacher will welcome chant. Teacher will lead a Prayer all gathered students will pray.
6. All Haumana will be required to be on time. If students are late they will demonstrate protocol at the convenience of the teacher in order to enter class.
7. Classes are fun, energizing and deeply spiritual be prepared.